Thursday, May 1, 2008

I DON'T SEW!!! and I AM ok with it!!!

I admit it, I finally free myself of this terrible secret!!!! I DON'T SEW! YEP! NOT EVEN A BUTTON! I came to this VIVID realization when i tried so hard to be the good scout mom! my first born son enters the 11 year old scouting troop! my husband buys the patches and when i ask him if they are the adhesive ones, he says "oh, they don't make those for the 'scouter shirt.' well, i thought, 'this ought to be interesting!" So, you know those times where you give yourself the "you can do it-it can't be that hard" pep talk? that's what i did......................and so after a few bloody fingers and a few bloody "swear words" i finally had the purple patch sewn on over the left front pocket.....crooked! "dang" ok, i rip that out and start over (mind you i only have an hour,,,but i still think i can do it) so i get the purple patch on right (i said, right not tight. which is apparently a necessity when sewing on a patch). then i went for the grand canyon council patch....i'm pretty sure that IT is made of STEEL. with every %&*# poke of the needle i got more....shall we say...frustrated~! i actually sewed that on strait. then it was on to the 852 numbers that go on the sleeve. i began with the 5. i figured if i got that centered i could line up the 8 and the 2. i started this adventure at (4:20) just as Stockton entered the room and inquired, "is my scout shirt gonna be done by the time i need to leave?" "that is what i am shootin for" i replied, in my still-nice-mom voice. then between that moment and 5:00 i probably had to thread the needle at least 6 times.......per patch!!!! then when i got it finished i looked (squinted...because my eyes were permanently squinted after that one) and i had sewn the patch on the sleeve alright, i had some how sewn it to the entire sleeve....making it very difficult for my son to put his arm in the arm hole...ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! so i thought, "oh, maybe i should just take those stitches out and tie knots in them. so that is what i did. and i presented my masterpiece to my son. when he put it on (now i had walked it 7 steps) the purple patch and the numbers were sliding out of the shirt ever so slightly....no not tightly. so i pulled those patches off and sent him with the patch of steel....still on. when i told my husband what i had attempted to do. he says, ' i know, i saw there was some kind of mishap on the bathroom sink' then i told him the entire story,,,i was laughing my butt off so hard i couldn't even tell the story. then he says to me..."i don't get it..you are a dental hygienist, you play the piano, you are very good with your hands...why can't you sew." i replied:'i don't know, it doesn't compute with me, its too many steps that i have to think about and some how that doesn't work with me..its okay, i have come to the realization that i DON'T SEW and i am ok with it. It is not a talent nor is it even a SKILL i can master nor want to master. my mind just won't connect...i literally have to have someone over me telling me each step and even then i will not remember the next time i try....obviously i have only done buttons. and no i don't need anyone offering me their sewing skills to teach me, nor do i want anyone feeling sorry for me because i don't sew....like i said...I AM OK WITH IT! i'm pretty sure that they make adhesive patches at the scout store, i just need to go and get them...that i CAN DO! two steps: stick it on and put it in the dryer! DONE!
I'm pretty sure this picutre tells it all....or at least the highlites!!!!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my gosh Debbie, I am cracking up and I can totally relate. I USED to sew, but I hated it. Things would eventually turn out, but I needed serious counseling to calm myself down after the many mishaps that would occur. I HATE sewing, and so now I don't do it either. So let me fill you in on a little secret. You don't want to use the adhesive (although yes, they do have it), because those are the uniforms that end up looking like the patches are all contorted into weird shapes just dying to pop off of the shirt. HOWEVER, if you just take your stuff down to Pomeroy's Men's Store, they'll sew it on for you. It's truly a gift from heaven. Good luck!

debbie said...

oh, thank you for the heaven-sent tip. that will definitely keep me temple worthy...hahahahahaaha!!! i was beginning to wonder why the scouting program even existed after this mishap-just to torture moms...was definitely the first thing that went thru my mind!

Sara! said...

Okay, this is seriously hilarious! The pictures are great. I'm cracking up imagining him trying to get his arm through the hole!

debbie said...

i caught the mistake before he put his arm thru...whew! or he would have laughed me out the door...actually it would have been more like...:"what? how am i supposed to wear this?"